Tilburg center for Cognition and Communication
Department of Communication and Information Sciences
Recent News and activities:
- Area chair for COLING 2018.
- Seminar at ILCC, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, October 2017.
- Invited talk at 2nd Workshop on Language Learning at 2017 IEEE ICDL-EPIROB, Lisbon, September 2017.
- We won the best paper award at CoNLL 2017!
- Invited talk at Computational Linguistics Laboratory, University of Pisa, titled "Generalization patterns in a probabilistic model of argument structure acquisition", Pisa, Italy, March 2016.
- Invited talk at the EMNLP 2015 workshop on Cognitive Aspects of Computational Language Learning, September 2015, Lisbon.
- Chair of the 19th Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning (CoNLL 2015) (with Alessandro Moschitti).
- Recipient of the NWO Aspasia grant, 2015.
- Recipient of the NWO Natural Aritificial Intelligence grant for the project Learning to Communicate via Social and Linguistic Interactions (with Paul Vogt and Emiel Krahmer).
- Tutorial chair of the 14th European chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL 2014).
- Area chair of the Computational Models for Human Language Acquisition and Processing track, Empirical Methods on Natural Language Processing (EMNLP 2013).
- Invited talk at Center for Mind/Brain Sciences (CIMeC), University of Trento, titled "Child word learning from a computational perspective", Rovereto, Italy, May 2013.
- Invited talk at SMART Cognitive Science Lectures, University of Amsterdam, titled "What computers can tell us about human language: the case of learning words", Amsterdam, The Netherlands, October 2012.
- Invited talk at School of Psychological Sciences, University of Manchester, titled "Language learning as a unified probabilistic process", Manchester, UK, October 2012.
- Invited talk at Institute of Psychology, Health and Society, University of Liverpool, titled "Language learning as a unified probabilistic process", Liverpool, UK, October 2012.
- Area chair of the Computational Psycholinguistics track, 13th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL-2012).
- Invited talk at ATILA 2011 meeting titled "A Bayesian account of the acquisition of abstract argument structure constructions", Antwerp, Belgium, December 2011.
- Two symposiums at the 12th International Congress for the Study of Child Language (IASCL 2011):
- Giving a talk at the Fourth International Conference of the German Cognitive Linguistics Association titled "The acquisition of abstract argument structure constructions from child-directed data". Bremen, Germany, October 9, 2010.
- Co-offering a course at European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information (ESSLLI) on Computational Modeling of Human Language Acquisition. Copenhagen, Denmark, August 16-20, 2010 (with Afsaneh Fazly).
- Giving a talk at the Institute for Logic, Language, and Computation, University of Amsterdam titled "A Bayesian account of the acquisition of abstract argument structure constructions". Amsterdam, Netherlands, May 19, 2010.
- Giving a talk at the RCEAL Tuesday Colloquia series, Research Centre for English and Applied Linguistics, University of Cambridge, titled Learning semantic roles from child-directed data: insights from a probabilistic model of early language learning. Cambridge, UK, April 27, 2010.
- Offering an ACL Tutorial on Computational Modeling of Human Language Acquisition. Singapore, August 2009.
- Organizing the Eighth IRTG Summer School in Computational Linguistics and Psycholinguistics. Kloster Irsee, Germany, June 2009 (with Matthew Crocker).
- Co-organizing an EACL Workshop on Cognitive Aspects of Computational Language Acquisition. Athens, Greece, March 2009 (with Thierry Poibeau and Aline Villavicencio).